What is e-medicine telemedicine?
“The delivery of health care services, where distance is a critical factor, by all health care professionals using information and communication technologies for the exchange of valid information for diagnosis, treatment and prevention of disease and injuries, research and evaluation, and for the continuing education of health care providers, all in the interests of advancing the health of individuals and their communities”
The Program Purpose
- To provide specialized clinical support to both our volunteer providers and patients
- To overcome geographical barriers by connecting users who are not in the same physical location (intra-country and inter-country)
- It involves the use of Information and Communication Technologies (synchronous and asynchronous)
- Ultimate goal is to improve health outcomes and provide for follow up for our patients.
The Program Benefits
- Telemedicine has been advocated in situations in which:
- The health professional on duty has little or no access to expert help
- It is able to offer remote physician access to otherwise unavailable specialist opinions providing reassurance to both doctors and patients
- Telemedicine offers opportunities for continuing medical education to practitioners in remote locations
- Telemedicine also provides opportunities for learning and professional development by facilitating the dissemination of general information and remote training of health-care professionals
E-Med Program Barriers
Human and Cultural Factors: Linguistic and cultural differences between patients (particularly those underserved) and service providers
Legal Considerations: Absence of an international legal framework to allow health professionals to deliver services in different countries. Lack of policies that govern patient privacy and confidentiality with regards to data transfer, storage, and sharing. Health professional authentication, in particular with email applications. Risk of medical liability for the health professionals offering telemedicine services
Malfunction of technological systems can lead to failure of hardware or software and affect patient outcomes as well as increase liability of health-care providers
Cost, Infrastructure, Socio-cultural Beliefs, Policy
The Patcha Foundation has developed a specific Forums area strictly for E-Med members to share profiles, information, suggestions and communication so that all participants in the program can easily find others.
Privacy and security are of the utmost importance. All patient information is strictly protected. All network users are expected to comply with our strict confidentiality policy and adhere to highest standards of professional ethics